Monday, April 8, 2013

What Is 88 Inspired

I would like to use today, April 8, to let everybody know WHY I have entitled this blog 88 Inspired.

The anonymous person that commented on the last blog indicated it may be because of the year 1988, that person was correct.  SHOUT OUT CAITLIN!  I have known CAITLIN for a very short time period and immediately she became a dear friend of mine. Words cannot do her justice.  She has proven  to be an amazing person conquering the various trials and tribulations life has presented her while maintaining a fabulously positive and motivating attitude and taking up running as her sport, very successfully I must say - no worries triathletes last night she was challenged and accepted the challenge of trying a tri.  She also helped encourage me to follow through with applying for the Ironman Foundation Newton Triathlon Ambassador Team and continued to push me to accept the offer by reminding me it was MEANT TO BE!  Thank you Caitlin, for being you and for helping me get here today!  Though at about mile 80 of the bike during Ironman you might want to hide from me, because you are one of the people I am coming after!

Ok, so 88 Inspired -
I started attending triathlons before I can remember. I was raised at triathlons, as races were our family vacations as we watched and cheered my Dad. At the age of 5, when I was in Kindergarten, I have some of my first real memories. One of these memories was the day my Dad was accepted to the Ironman Triathlon, the only one that existed in 1988, we were going to Hawaii and we all did the Hula dance together as a family (Mom, Dad, Brother and myself)!  It was such an amazing experience for my entire family.  So amazing I even took the Ironman video to show and tell with me for years to come, more than likely for my entire show and tell career, as I was so proud of my Dad and amazed by the event and experience.

The story of WHY - WHY Triathlons and for heaven's sake, WHY Ironman -
Growing up around triathlons, and then experiencing Ironman Hawaii at a young age, solidified my interest in athletics and in particular - triathlons. I participated in my first triathlon at age 9 (too bad it  wasn't age 8 to keep my favorite number rolling). At that time kids triathlons did not exist, so I was in the water with all the adults and have a vivid memory of a large hairy man swimming overtop of me as if I did not exist. I made my way to the corner buoy to survive. I finally came out of the water, in tears, but Dad helped keep me going to finish the triathlon.  I was trained out of necessity at a young age to deal with mass starts and the washing machine of Ironman, which is one of the many reasons I hope the  mass start is never removed from any Ironman.

Throughout my childhood triathlons simply were not feasible to continue, due to the high cost and the fact that sadly they are not a state sanctioned sport for schools. So I took up the sport of running. After running in college and then entering the average public race scene I realized there was something missing and running simply was not fulfilling enough for me anymore.  I purchased a road bike and started tri training. I competed in my first adult triathlon with my Father, as he returned to the sport with me after moving mostly into cycling. The triathlon started with children with disabilities in kayaks being pulled by the triathletes in the water. My heart raced and smiled while witnessing the pure joy on the faces of the kids and the fulfillment on the faces of the athletes working so hard to move the kids along. Though it was raining and cold I had more fun in my first adult triathlon than I had experienced in any running races post college. Witnessing the children enjoy the event and seeing the athletes and spectators alike appear as one large triathlon family, combined with my exhilarating experience running out of the water after not having almost been drown, confirmed everything, triathlons were my new vice.

My Father's Ironman Hawaii accomplishment in the year 1988 Inspired my life long ambition to complete an Ironman Triathlon.  The training will be grueling, the fundraising difficult yet well worth it for the cause and the vision of my family at the finish line and the words "You Are An Ironman" will be priceless.  All of this combined will make 2013 my next inspiration and hopefully inspire others as well.  WHOA, I better not get ahead of myself, I have to make it through this training first.

(pictures of 1988 to come)



2 comments:

  1. I love the reason you are 88 inspired.
    How cool!
    Can't wait to continue to read your blog and follow along!!!
    You go girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU CAN DO IT IRONWOMAN! keep us updated on the training. I want to know how hard it must be to do what you're doing! 13 Inspired! YEE HAW

    ReplyDelete