Monday, May 20, 2013

Cyclist vs. Vehicle - So many lessons learned

As a cyclist you tend to follow things like Velo News and Cycling News, which at times report on a cyclist's collision with a car or unfortunate encounter with road rage.  Most cyclists tend to get very angry when reading these reports, while at the same time fearing a bit for their life, all the time knowing we refuse to give up our love - the sport of cycling.

I personally try to be a very defensive cyclist, while admittedly having little patience for cars.  As a driver, I treat the cyclist just like a car, as I hope to be treated while on my bike.  The other night on my ride I learned a number of lessons related to road rage and life lessons in general.  As you read you may be surprised who was the culprit of the road rage.

It is important as a driver to know your rights as a driver but also the rights of a cyclist.  Cyclists have the same rights as a car, cyclists have the right to the lane they occupy etc., but this does also include a cyclists requirement to obey regular driving laws and, for example, stop at red lights and stop signs (we are all guilty of disobeying, and I am sure we all have a vast array of excused or reasons to try to legitimize what is ultimately illegal behavior).  But as a cyclist we have to realize that not all cars are going to treat us this way and in turn we must be extremely defensive.  In being defensive we must also realize that on a bike we are more vulnerable to all elements, vehicles, weather, potholes, dead animals, people etc.  I personally admit to being extremely defensive after reading the all too true horror stories, and even witnessing, cyclists being ran off the road by cars or attacked and mugged by people.

The other night presented an unfortunate circumstance that I admittedly and regretfully did not handle in a remotely respectful manner.  If somebody disrespects or hurts you, do you hurt them back?  NO - Cardinal Rule.  Disrespect does not lead to respect.  As a large truck came up behind me with the engine revving and then slowed to follow me, I instantly became defensive.  What I consider through personal experience to be a fairly logical response, assuming the person could potentially have rage toward me, started to run through my mind.  I know there are a lot of people who do not think cyclists should be on the road.  I also proceded to have thoughts, that to me are a reality, but in the location and circumstance were extremely unlikely and most people would never even imagine.  Anyway, as the truck tailed me going up an incline I tried to wave it on and I got very frustrated that it would not go.  I finally pulled off the road and as it drove by I did a one finger wave, VERY inappropriate and I am quite embarrassed to admit that my rage and irritation got the best of me.  The better response would have been to ignore the vehicle, just as parents teach young kids to walk away from bad situations.

The truck then proceded to pull over.  The cyclists other fear, and another lesson, Rage leads to Rage. As my heart was pounding and I reached for my phone a man got out of the truck.  He took a few steps toward me and said "Megan" and my heart stopped yet again.  How did he know me, how was this possible.  I have to remind myself I grew up here and it is a small town in the country, everybody knows everybody. This lead to yet another lesson you never know who you could see/run into out on the road, or who could see you without you even realizing it. Yup a childhood friend with a family and kids in the car, I was mortified and felt unbelievably horrible.   Fortunately in this situation my rage did not lead to provoking the rage of the vehicle, but lesson learned because it sure could happen and the cyclist will always lose against the vehicle.

Though my own actions sadden me I am taking this as a lesson well learned and am fully appreciative that it took place with people who are completely willing to address the situation in an adult manner.  As they so eloquently stated, never let the sun set on a disagreement, an amazing lesson I respect them for teaching their kids and using this as an opportunity teach, not only their kids, but me as well.  They are also people who are kind hearted individuals that wanted to make sure I knew the engine revving was not directed at me, ultimately they were following the laws of the road and giving me the space necessary, I just let my testosterone, rapid response and irritation get the best of me.  Being defensive is good, but being overly defensive can cause more problems in the long run.

I am sure this is the reverse story and lesson from what most expected to read in this post, but it is truth and I am sure I am not the only person to whom this has happened.  As cyclist we focus on the rage of vehicles toward cyclists, as it undoubtedly is the most deadly and typically more common, but sometimes it is important to remember the impact we as cyclists can have on life lessons, respect toward cyclists, driving lessons and raising awareness, support and respect for the cycling community.  The road goes both ways.

In sum vehicles and cyclists must follow the same laws of the road.  Road rage from a cyclist or a vehicle never has positive results.  As a cyclist and in particular an individual cyclist, and furthermore a female cyclist, be defensive and intelligent about your decisions, route, destination and time of ride.  Always be aware of your situation and listen to your gut instincts, but also be realistic.  Former trauma often results in what can actually be unrealistic thoughts or fears, take note, learn the lesson, carry it with you, but do not let it control you or drive you to a point of action in which you may regret your future decisions.

DRIVE SAFE
RIDE SAFE
BE SAFE




No comments:

Post a Comment