Saturday, May 4, 2013

Learning to Mountain Bike While IM Training - Interesting

So it all started upon my return to the USA (from living and working in Costa Rica) and to my home state of Michigan last June.  I spent most of the summer traveling around Michigan for work and doing my own thing in regards to training, simply for fun, adding in some weight lifting to my routine with some wonderful friends. That summer was all about getting back into the swing of things here in the USA, finding a permanent job and stabilizing.  I did just one event that summer, Ride Around Torch Lake (60 miles), a group ride, not race.  I was able to meet some of my Dad's cycling friends (from Traverse City where our cottage is located, not our hometown).  Then in Fall true mountain biking season started and I attended some races to cheer on my Dad.  At that time McLain's Cycle and Fitness was developing a new Race Team (mountain bike centric) and they needed women; I somehow got roped into being one of the female teammates although I had no mountain bike or mountain biking experience.  Time to buy a mountain bike, which McLain's provided wonderful guidance and help to get me set up perfectly and within my budget.

Throughout the winter I was mentally preparing myself to race mountain bike in 2013 and a few running races and maybe 1-2 triathlons.  Then along came the Ironman Foundation - Newton Running Ambassador Triathlon Team, too perfect to pass up and an honor to be accepted as a member of the team.  Ok, tri training for Ironman Canada is now the main goal and obviously my A race, but somehow I have to balance my previous commitment to the McLain Race Team and race mountain bike, which I am happy to do as they have created an incredible team as well!

The LONG winter in Michigan made training a bit difficult this Spring.  I knew I had my first mountain bike race on May 4, so I had to focus on Ironman training while ensuring to be prepared to race mountain bike. Four times on the trails before the race, I guess it would have to do. Now, it's the week of the race and I'm overbooked at work and exhausted.  The plan to wake up early and do my long run before work was a failure on my part as I did not wake up.  I guess the long run will be run after my evening presentation around 8:00pm, hopefully there will be enough daylight to get me through most of the 14 mile run and enough moonlight to provide a little guidance until I finish, lesson learned - WAKE UP!  About 5 miles into the run I finally start to feel warmed up and a bit more relaxed, less stressed about life (proving how useful exercise can be to providing balance and physical and mental fitness), and starting to clip off the miles at a faster pace.  That was about the same time the sun went down and visibility was more limited.  Then just after mile 8 disaster rears its angry head, the ankle turns, I stumble and try to catch myself bashing my knee to the ground.  I hop and try to keep going, when the car that was at the stop sign nearby rolls down the window and says "You need a ride", they didn't ask they told me.  I tried to put weight on the ankle and quickly dropped my head and said,"Yeah I do".  The two nice older ladies drove me home where I propped my leg up and immediately began icing with tears running down my face.  The tears were more complete and utter frustration at my mental breaking point, fear for my training, fear for Ironman, and then OH CRAP, I have my first mountain bike race this weekend.

Mountain Bike race time it is, sprained ankle reduces my range of motion but I shouldn't need much for biking, time to hit the trails with my intense fear bubbling inside me.  The Mclain's Race Team pushed and motivated me at the race that morning and the day before the IM Foundation - Newton Running Ambassador Triathlon team  sent me off to the race with a nice shout out and support from all over the US and even world (the benefits of such a team, the amazing support)!  I was clearly completely incompetent when it came to mountain biking, not even knowing what gear to start the race in or where I should stand.  Quite different from running races and triathlons to say the least.  But finally off we went and HELL YES THAT WAS A BLAST!  I stayed on my feet and didn't crash, just had to step out a few times, one heading into the finish to avoid the guy that did an endo in front of me.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was a rush, it kept me entertained and I felt good.  In the end I didn't race as fast as I thought I had but I still went faster than Dad thought I would so that's a plus and I won my class! The team was super fun to hang out with and shoot the breeze about the race at the finish.

The point of this post is more to explain that everything happens for a reason.  Is mountain biking when one is a complete novice the ideal training plan for Ironman?  Maybe not, the more likely answer is actually NO.  But does it keep life interesting, YES! I also truly believe it is making me a stronger cyclist for the road, considering that is my weakest discipline I need it.  I think the stars were aligned and I was supposed to join both teams at the same time and take on both challenges at once.  I tend to respond best to extreme situations as I am an extreme person.  If it seems too simple I will relax too much.  It's a physical and mental test for me and one I have every intention on conquering. The ankle sprain was an additional challenge and one that I am sure will continue to plague me at least for a few weeks.  But I know for every time I fall, I WILL stand back up and I WILL stand back up stronger, both mentally and physically.  This seems to be the mantra for my life, especially for the past two years.  There are a few quotes that you all have heard a million times, but I want to list them here as they have truly helped me through this past week (and many other times) of injury, trials, tribulations and tests.

Most people told me not to do the mountain bike race after the ankle sprain.  I did it and at this point I am glad I did (hopefully I am still glad a week from now and hopefully that happiness is accompanied by a return to running).  Though I was initially fearful of racing, my ultimate response is "Being realistic is the most common path to mediocracy" - Will Smith.  I will not be mediocre, I will go the extra mile, I will push through the extra pain, I will test my mental and physical limits and then push them farther and farther.  I encourage others to test themselves in various situations throughout life.  It may be testing your educational limits, physical limits or pushing the bar in regards to time to ensure you are working harder and faster to allow you to spend more time with your kids or allot extra time to volunteer a bit.

I didn't know if I was ready to train for and do Ironman, I still don't know for sure.  I also wasn't sure about doing the mountain bike race with the ankle sprain...  but,  "You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice" - Bob Marley.  Thus far I have proven strong, I have a lot of room to get stronger and I am confident I can if I keep the path.  Isn't it amazing what testing our limits can teach each and every one of us.  Remember this always, Strength doesn't come from what you can do, it comes from overcoming what you couldn't!  OVERCOME.

Megan and Jeff (Dad) Pre-Race, Sporting my brand new helmet which my family gave me right before taking this picture for my upcoming 30th Birthday (Specialized S-Works Prevail - KOM Color Scheme)
Start/Finish of the Mountain Bike Race - I was told I could avoid that mud pit but apparently that was not an option and I am glad because it was FUN!

Post race discussion while Dad treated himself to a beer and I was smart and focused on elevating and icing my ankle.


Jeff (Dad), Mom (Roberta) and Me - Cheers with my age group prize beer mug and free beer !



No comments:

Post a Comment