Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Heat of the Summer - 7 weeks to go

It has been quite the interesting week for me, fourth of July, finally nice, sunny and warm and tons of options for enjoyable things to do.  I've never been great at limiting myself to specific activities, as I always want to do it all.  But this week I was determined to show my dedication to what I chose as my destiny either a few short months ago, or way back in 1988 as a 5 year old...IRONMAN!

I woke up early the morning of the Fourth of July to ensure I got in my long run so I could head out on the lake and enjoy some time with friends.  The morning did not start off as planned, an ankle roll 4 miles into my 18 mile run was NOT part of my plan.  The excruciating pain of the ankle roll caused me to yell so loud the birds literally all flew from the tress surrounding me.  As I hobbled so many thoughts ran through my mind: noooo, this can't be, why me, oh the pain and agony, a sense of defeat.  Then I made up my mind and told myself you can still walk, start jogging, keep moving, yes it hurts but IRONMAN is going to hurt, if you can finish these next 14 miles to total an 18 mile run today, you WILL FINISH IRONMAN.  So, I did it, I kept moving, it was slow and painful but I just kept putting one foot in front of the other.  After about 3 miles I finally stopped from whimpering and prevented more tears from falling.  My mind switched over to a "I got this" attitude as I slowly put one foot in front of the other focussing on a safe and stable step while taking in the beauty surrounding me.  It was an overcast morning, thankfully, and I was on trails surrounded by dew covered ground and lush green trees.  Life wasn't so bad, ankle roll or not, it was the natural beauty and my natural instinct to keep going and succeed that was my blessing that day.  The run finished slowly and painfully, but it got done, and was followed by some aleve and a serious ice session.  
The ankle post run, not too bad, just looks like I have a tumor growing out the side of my foot.

I had an enjoyable Fourth of July on the lake with friends.  Initially I wanted to tip back some drinks and chill, but oddly for me my body simply said no.  I had a few drinks but the day was mostly defined by water, which was fine because I still had a lovely time, minus the extreme burn that made me look like I was wearing a  jersey and bike shorts in the color red as I only burned where I typically am wearing bike clothes, kinda funny.

Happy Fourth of July, even an IRONMAN in training found time to enjoy true Mitten Style!

As the weekend approached I wanted to join my friends out on the river tubing as a river rat with a floating cooler beside me so badly.  This was a true test of dedication for me since I have not been tubing on my childhood river with my childhood friends in decades.  I made the choice to be an IRONMAN and that is what I did.  Up and at em early in the morning, 100 miles of alone time, just me, my bike and the road.

These days of training were hot and humid.  I don't mind the heat or humidity, but my body and performance hates it as I easily get dehydrated and have electrolyte imbalance.  I can honestly say on my 100 mile ride I ended up rationing water, bad move, I should have just taken the 5 minutes to stop at a store and fill up.  Then the next day I was stuck out in the woods on the mountain bike for 4 hours with just two bottles, NOT enough.  HYDRATION HYDRATION HYDRATION.  This leads me to the article one of my IRONMAN teammates posted on facebook.  The article drove home some of my digestive and stomach issues and was yet another important reminder.  If you think you may be dehydrated or have stomach issues, check out this article, I found it very helpful.

100 miles in what might just as well have been 100 degrees...it was actually about 94 plus insane humidity

Throughout all of these days of training I cannot express the impact my friends, family and fellow teammates have had on me.  The constant support, even just a facebook post of "you can do this" or "it's ok to rest", a goofy IRONMAN depiction posted on my wall, a donation to my fundraiser, or a wave as I ride by, has been overwhelming.  I may be a bit sappy to say this, but it almost brings tears to my eyes to know there are people out there that have never actually met me but care enough to send me support.  Training for IRONMAN and competing in an IRONMAN really makes all IRONMAN Triathletes part of a greater FAMILY.  Then I also receive support from life long friends who have always thought I was crazy and possessed or obsessed with working out.  It is so nice to see they get it, or at least get that it is so important to me and are willing to show their support no matter what.  I want to thank every single person that has supported me by sending articles, personal advice, references, referrals, Ironman race reports, words of encouragement and simply asking how I am doing.  You all mean the world to me right now and though I may seem a bit negative at times, please know that each and every word of advice is taken to heart and I am unbelievably grateful.





No comments:

Post a Comment