Friday, July 12, 2013

The Test of a Half Ironman

I'm almost packed and ready to get on the road heading fro Muncie, Indiana for IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie.  Ironically Muncie is the same Half Ironman my Father did when training and qualifying for IRONMAN Hawaii 1988.  I have vague memories of watching his race and one involves such extreme heat that I was hanging on an orange make-shift fence screaming and crying.  This results in the Mounted Police Officer bringing me water, so I am told.  I just pray there is no black flag tomorrow at Muncie and the heat does not hurt me like it did as a child.  Fortunately Dad has a good race, so hopefully the family tradition carries through to me.

I have competed in one Half Ironman before and it was honestly the most fun endurance event I have ever competed in, I was smiling the entire time, I simply had a blast.  I don't feel the same joy going into this race, but maybe prior to that race I was nervous as I am now.  I have a huge pit in my stomach, I explode within one word of somebody talking to me, I am constantly on the verge of tears and I am fearful I will not even finish.  This is all absolutely ridiculous I keep telling myself, nerves are normal, you have trained, you have already done this, all you have to do is do it again.  I remind myself that before every race I have always gotten nervous and it ends up fine, this is no different.

If this is a glimpse into how I will feel going into IRONMAN, I am not even as petrified of the race itself, but more of the nerves I will feel going into the race.  If I am this nervous now, I can't and don't want to imagine how nervous I will be in August.  But that's ok, it's just nerves, nerves are normal, nerves are good because it means I care!

So, this fear I am experiencing will hopefully subside prior to the race, or at least when the gun goes off.  I will be fine, it will be fun and I will finish and accomplish my goals.  I have to remember, this is just practice for IRONMAN Canada, the A race, my true goal in 2013.  How I do at this race gives me a glimpse into how I may do at IRONMAN, but it does NOT define how I will do at IRONMAN because every single day is different.  So, if this race does not go as planned I will still be fine and I will still meet my ultimate goal of becoming an IRONMAN.  This is what I keep reminding myself as I wonder over and over again why I am so nervous for a Half Ironman when I am preparing for a full.

The last thing I want to say is, I have planned my food and drink for the car ride, I have hydrated this week and eaten well, I have stretched and gotten a massage.  I have done the training and I have the ability to achieve my goals, the money is in the bank, it's GO TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment